The Economic and Social Impacts of COVID-19 on Newcomers to Canada
May 1, 2020, 11:00 am – 2:30 pm (EST) – Online Conference
Chaired by Jack Jedwab, the Chair of the COVID-19 Social Impacts Network, the May 1st Metropolis online conference will consist of two feature sessions. The first will share the latest findings on the varying economic and social impacts of COVID-19 from Statistics Canada as well as survey data from the Association for Canadian Studies/Leger Marketing with a focus on newcomers and minorities. The other session will feature policy makers, researchers and immigrant service providers describing the challenges being encountered by newcomers in this unprecedented crisis.
Note: The presentations available below are the property of their authors. We encourage you to contact the concerned authors directly for permission to make use of their material. If the presentation you are looking for is missing, it is because it has not been sent to us.
- Moderator: Tasha Kheiriddin
Welcome & Opening Remarks
- Jack Jedwab, President & CEO, ACS-Metropolis
- Catrina Tapley, Deputy Minister, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)
- Tina Namiesniowski, President, Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC)
- Anil Arora, Chief Statistician of Canada, Statistics Canada
- Sébastien Goupil, Secretary-General, Canadian Commission for UNESCO (View the presentation)
Statistical Data Analysis of COVID-19 Impact on Newcomers, What the Numbers tell us
- Chair: Jane Badets, retired – Assistant Chief Statistician, Statistics Canada
- Mieke Bos, Director General, Research and Evaluation, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)
- Christian Bourque, Executive Vice-President, Leger Marketing (View the presentation)
- Marc Lachance, Acting Director General, Health, Justice, Diversity and Populations, Statistics Canada (View the presentation)
- Jack Jedwab, President & CEO, ACS-Metropolis (View the presentation)
COVID-19 and Migrant Challenges in the New Normal
- Chair: Hubert Lussier, retired – Assistant Deputy Minister, Canadian Heritage
- Corinne Prince, Director General, Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)
- Professor Lori Wilkinson, University of Manitoba / Canada Research West (View the presentation)
- Fariborz Birjandian, CEO, Calgary Catholic Immigration Society (View the presentation)
- Shamira Madhany, Managing Director, Canada / Deputy Executive Director, World Education Services (View the presentation)
- Nora Spinks, CEO, Vanier Institute for the Family
The COVID-19 crisis has been rightly focused on medical intervention, containment, and the creation of vaccines. There are economic, social and cultural consequences arising from the virus which affect us all.
The Association for Canadian Studies, the Vanier Institute of the Family and the Canadian Commission for UNESCO established the Social Impacts Network in response to the needs for empirically based insight into key issues around COVID-19. The Network has partnered around weekly national surveys that have shown widening socio-economic differences gaps among Canadians and especially for recent immigrants.
For information regarding the network go to: https://acs-aec.ca/en/covid-19-social-impacts-network/